Okay, so back a long time ago when I first got into the Harry/Snape ship, I had to bumble around with a little help and try to find everything I could. A couple of years down the road and I am starting to get asked for recs from people just because this is my main pairing and I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on in this ship. Instead of going through my favorites folder every time (and getting distracted by all the porn), I decided to come up with my own little recs list. These are links to stories, journals, and archives I wish I could have found all in one place when I first started out in the fandom. Hopefully this will be an extreme help for those who are starting out, and maybe some of the old timers will find something that helps them out as well. This is by no means a comprehensive rec post of the world of Snarry. These are just fics, discussions, communities, and archives that I enjoy and I hope this will benefit someone! If anyone has any comments, questions, or suggestions or if you don’t want your fic/journal/etc rec’ced here, just let me know!
Note: All of these, except for one, are rated R-NC-17. Just to warn you. Also, there's a reason I don't write fics. You will find no literary genius in my words here.
Long chaptered fics:
• If You Are Prepared by Cybele.
My absolutely favorite fic ever. I was lucky enough to have If You Are Prepared be one of my first ever Snarry fics, way back in the day. I don’t believe that any fic will ever be able to live up to this. It’s got a perfectly In Character Snape and a perfectly In Character Harry, and a perfectly believable plotline, relationship, and love between the two characters. This fic will leave you wondering how this could not be canon. It’s so wonderful that no words I ever could have would be good enough to describe it. Note that it will absolutely devastate you at the end. I mean devastate as in, I was an emotional sobbing wreck for at least 2 days after reading it. It is that powerful and will move you that much. But don’t let the ending scare you away from reading this. You absolutely must.
• The Tea Series by Telanu. Note: The link is to her home page, which she has requested we link people to. Just follow the warnings and you arrive at The Tea Series.
Another one of my favorite fics. The Tea Series is light hearted enough that you can read it and it not depress you for days, though there are dramatic elements in the story. The build up to the relationship and then to the sex is one of the best I’ve ever read. Again with a very IC Snape and Harry (I particularly love Harry in this story).
• So Lonely Without Me by Calligraphy
If I hadn’t already had such a soft spot for The Tea Series, this would be my # 2 favorite. I stumbled upon this and it absolutely made my day. The plot is the standard trapped in an enclosed space for a little amount of time, leads to bickering and finally understanding, and then they shag. But it’s such a good story, you forget all about the whole cliché idea. I love Snape in this story: he’s a little self conscious but not overly dramatic so. It does have mostly bottom!Severus, which I normally can not stand, but for some reason it works in this fic. It’s weird, I know. Calligraphy did a wonderful wonderful job with an almost all dialogue fic. They are biting and cutting towards each other, but I love when their relationship turns into something more and the insults give way to little teasing jabs at each other. This is my idea of an in-a-relationship-Snarry. No soppy love poems and Snape declaring his love off balconies.
• Scratch by Auctasinistra. (And the sequels The Holly and the Ivy and This Thing of Darkness)
This is a wonderful fic. I love the characterization here, and the build up to the relationship is fabulous. In this fic (and the sequels) you get to see Harry and Snape go from adversaries to grudging respect to wonderful lovers. And it happens so naturally, you’ll again wonder why this isn’t canon. And I just love Snape with a cat.
• In Between Days by atrata
Atrata’s Snarries (and in particular her Harry) always kill me. I actually had to read this fic twice before I finally caught on about how good it is. There’s things you miss the first time that really make the story when you re-read it.
• Sunrises by juliatheyounger (And the sequel Happily Ever After)
This is my pick for fluffy post war relationship!Snarry. She does it in a way that is not totally unbelievable or out of character and I absolutely love it.
NEW • Anniversary by RaeWhit
Summary: After Voldemort is defeated, Harry and Snape must spend the anniversary of that victory alone together. This is the story of the seven anniversaries that follow, and of the mutual animosity that was transformed into something altogether unexpected.
I tried explaining why I loved this fic before and I can’t put it into words. It’s just so utterly gorgeous and so utterly Snarry that it makes me wibble. There are a few stories that make me stop and go “wow now this is what my OTP is about” and this was definitely one of them. So very very beautiful and GAH.
NEW • Cambiare Podentes:Invocare by Jordan Grant and the sequal Madurare.
Summary: A new prophecy comes to light, one that promises death for Harry Potter and enslavement for the wizarding world, unless Harry himself consents to being enslaved--irrevocably and for life--to Severus Snape.
Warnings: "Cambiare Podentes: Invocare" is rated NC-17 and contains material of a graphic sexual nature, including explicit slash (homoerotic content). It also contains dubious consent, dominance/submission themes, non-consensual sex, violence, hurt/comfort, and use of druglike substances.
I secretly really love forced bonding fics, especially ones that have Harry having to submit to Snape willingly. The way Snape teaches him and then the climax (no pun intended) where you see the actual bonding is just about the hottest thing I’ve ever read.
Longer, non chaptered:
• The Measure of Our Torment by Amorette
• What He Wants by debchan
Summary: Snape deals with Harry in the aftermath of the events of OotP.
Note: Link is broken and no one seems to be able to find a working one. *le sigh*
• Disarmed by Luthien (And the sequel The Key to the Kingdom.
• The Dreaming Spires by Dementor Delta
• The Care of Infants by stellahobbit.
Summary: A curse from Voldemort regresses Harry to infancy. Snape must protect him while the Order tries to find a way to reverse the spell.
• A Choriambic Progression by Mairead Triste and Aristide
Summary: Harry learns a lot over the summer. Smut happens. It's all terribly exciting.
Don’t let the summary fool you. This is a wonderful work of art that will have you right in the middle of the plot hanging on until the very end. And there is smut. Which is always good.
• A Good Buy by Minx
Summary: The Gryffindors hold a slave auction. Guess who buys Harry?
• Longer by Isodore
Summary: Harry's feeling betrayed, but he doesn't know the whole story.
Warnings: A Dom/sub relationship.
• The Familiar by Resonant
NEW •Commonplace Magic by Ac1d6urn and Sinick
Warnings: AU (Alternate Universe)
These two authors are generally wonderful together and Commonplace Magic is no exception to this rule. There is something so utterly sweet about this fic, maybe because it is based in real life (AU) and I can see two men falling in love just like this. Plus, I have a strange thing about AU no magic fics, and this just makes me giddy.
NEW • Release from Bondage by Elanor Isolda
Summary: After Voldemort's defeat, Snape struggles to take control of his own life. Harry, lonely and shunned by Wizarding society, finds him.
I love this story about a post-war Snape finding his way and Harry tagging along for the ride. Again, this is about 2 lonely men finding exactly what they need in each other.
PWP, short, smutty:
• The fundamental Elements of Distraction by Moshes
• Rhymes of an Hour by Mooncharm
• Oft in Mercy by switchknife
Summary: Snape has his ways of curing Gryffindor recklessness. Even if the Gryffindors in question don't always appreciate it.
Warnings: Chanslash, phobophilia, dubious consent, object insertion, mild breathplay, D/s, humiliation, dirty talk and sadism.
• Protean Charm by elanor_isolda.
I got all the way to the end of this story before I figured out I really liked it. I won’t ruin why I really like the end, but once you read it, you’ll figure it out.
• Remedy by Rushlight.
Summary: Harry asks Snape for help with a certain problem.
Warnings: Maybe dubious consent, maybe chan (depending on how you look at it)
NEW • Roses are Dead by Anise Anise
A very nice and smutty Valentine’s ficlet. Featuring this quote which makes Johnna go melt: "Maybe," Severus said, turning them and pressing Harry's hips against the desk, "I should fuck you right here on my desk, rid you of some of that insolence."
Chan: (NOTE: My definition of chan is a very obvious under aged boy having sexual relations with a much older individual. If this isn’t your cup of tea, please don’t read these. I won’t go into an argument about the issue of chan in stories, suffised to say I like it so I’ll rec it.)
• Cherry by Jade.
My guilty pleasure fic. So incredibly wrong, yet so incredibly hot.
• If That Mockingbird Don’t Sing by Aspen.
Quite possibly the most well known Snarry chan fic. No words can describe it. Well some gurgling noises might be able to, but actual words? No.
• Life Debt by Rushlight.
Summary: A wizard saves Harry's life at great risk to his own, creating a life debt between them. As payment the wizard demands the use of Harry's body once a week for a year.
• The Devil Will Drag You Under by DementorDelta
Summary: Challenge #10: One of the requirements for entering Hogwarts is a sexual 'coming of age' ceremony, which must be performed with one of the staff prior to school starting.
• Idle Hands by Nimori.
Summary: Harry Potter's Aunt Petunia always said the Devil finds work for idle hands, but what happens when the Devil has nothing to do?
• Pipe Dreams by Lux
Summary: 13-year-old Harry and his fantasy lovers
• Dismissed by beizy.
And not just because it was written for me either. :P I am very lucky to call this lady my friend, and she is finally getting into the Snarry, so expect to see more great things coming from her. If I keep giving her ideas and she keeps writing them beautifully....*sighs*
• Skuf’s favorite chan fics
• Switchknife’s comprehensive chan post
Writings in Progress: I normally don’t read WIP’s as a rule, but these are a few I have read. There are plenty of WIP that are out there right now that I’m sure I will add in once they are finished.
• Mirror of Maybe by Midnight Blue.
• A Bittersweet Potion (and sequels) by bugland and alcehmia
• hello_hbp is a post Half Blood Prince WIP. The first two parts are excellent, and I hope this continues to be updated.
Short, no smut (*gasp*): (I was actually surprised I only had one story in here. Oh who am I kidding, I'm not surprised.)
• Cursed Artifacts For Sale by Icarus
Links and favorite authors: (Note: This section isn't completely done. I still have to track down some more links.)
• Snarry.net is a new archive that is attempting to help with the Detention fallout. It’s new and just getting started so give it some time.
• Walking the Plank is the revamped Harry/Snape archive.
• Switchknife’s fics and in particular her Recs page which is very good but some of the links are out of date.
• DementorDelta’s fics or also archived At Skyehawke.
• Aucta Sinistra's fics.
• Guide to the SS/HP fandom by Atrata. This is a very good piece to start out with as it gives numerous links for the different types of stories that abound in this fandom.
• Notes on sex, power, Snape, Harry by aubrem.
• The Harry/Snape Fuh-Q-Fest challenge which was one of the first areas of Harry/Snape slash as I understand it.
• Painless J’s 33 1/2 rec list. This is a brilliant list. And actually if you are reading this and you don’t have painless_j friended, go and do that right away. In her memories she has organized lists of fics that will come in handy if you are just coming into this fandom or even if you have been around awhile. She is a very valuable resource in the Harry Potter world.
• Inkstain Archive This used to be at a different address, but they have recently moved so all the prior links are broken. So if you happen to find a fic you want to read at an Ink Stained Fingers address and the link doesn’t work, try this one and search for the fic under it’s title or the author. (It took me awhile to figure this out lol)
• Restricted Section A password protected archive for NC-17 fic.
• The LJ communities snape_potter, pornish_pixies, snarry_reader, and sshp_prophet. Also, for chan fics hpchan and hp_despoiled. hogwarts_today and daily_snitch are good for fandom-wide news though they do rec things.
Last updated: 3/27/06